Saturday 20 June 2015

New wine tasting - Sunday Bay Sauvignon Blanc

So as it's Father's Day tomorrow here in the UK and I thought I would cook my dad chicken in a creamy white wine sauce. So what better wine to use than my dad's favourite wine - a NZ SB!!!

I have ready a few articles over the year saying don't use cheap wine in cooking, use a wine you enjoy. And the late great Julia Childs once said: "If you do not have a good wine to use, it is far better to omit it, for a poor one can spoil a simple dish and utterly debase a noble one" 


So I put in a glass of Sunday Bay Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region of NZ. This meant of course I had the rest of the bottle to enjoy on a rare Saturday night in.


The nose was quite 'apple like' I thought, whilst I was getting real hits of tropical fruits in the tastes. Think pineapple and passion fruit with a dash of grapefruit at the end. It's light, but still quite a bold flavour. 


It's very drinkable, and a great wine for summer. It's a nice drop both by itself and in the sauce I made. It went very well with the tarragon in particular and would be lovely as a lunch time tipple.

I managed to finish the bottle, but if you don't finish a bottle and don't drink it the next day, put the wine in ice cube trays and in the freezer. White and red wine ice cubes are great to put into spag bol, risottos etc, when you need a drop of wine...


I got it in a case of 12, which meant it was £8.99 a bottle. Normally it's RRP is £11.99 I would re-order this wine.





If you are interested in finding out more, go to the Laithwaites Site:

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/product/Sunday-Bay-Sauvignon-Blanc-2014/29720

No comments:

Post a Comment