Sunday 16 October 2016

Another evening wine tasting at Forest Wines

So we decided to have an 'All Reds' Wine Tasting Evening at Forest Wine to celebrate us moving into autumn.

Jana and Silas suggested some really interesting reds - from medium bodied red berry to full bodied black berry flavours and aromas.

We started with a Pinot Noir from Baden. As you know I am not normally a massive fan of PN, but this fruity German wine was lovely. My favourite of the evening and should be great with game and poultry. I bought a bottle of this (£16.99).

Then onto a right bank Bordeaux from Chateau Beynet. This was a 'straight up Bordeaux' said one of our party. I am normally more partial to the Cab Sav of the left bank, but I rather quite liked this. However I was in the minority - which was good in a way as it meant I had the rest of the bottle to myself!

Next a bio dynamic and organic wine Garnacha from Monsant. Aged for 12 months in old oak barrels, the sour cherry taste on this was pretty strong for me. However friends who love Spanish wine thought it was delicious.

Wine number four was a Cannonau from Sardiania. This was a new grape for me, and big alcohol at 14.5%.

Then onto another French this time from the Rhone region. Le Cab' Des Acolytes had a rather sulphurous nose which everyone commented on! Biodynamic and organic, it was pleasant enough, but not really for me...

The last wine of the evening was an  Negroamoro from Puglia. I got a  bottle of this mainly because there were lots of fab black berry and cherry flavours. You could taste the warmth of the region in every mouthful!

So another really enjoyable evening at Forest Wine.

If you are in the area (Walthamstow) pop in, and get some top tips for some lovely wines.

No comments:

Post a Comment