Saturday 7 November 2015

Davy's Wine Tasting at Vintners' Hall

So as my friend was over from Thailand, where wine is ridiculously expensive due to tax, I thought it would be a nice idea to go wine tasting.

Davy's wine bars/wine shop ran a tasting event at The Vintners' Hall in the City. With over 50 wines for a ticket entry of £20 it seemed like the perfect event for us.

Arriving a little earlier than my friend, I went through the list and marked a number of wines I was interested in trying.

The venue itself was beautiful. We got a 20 minute tour and found out more about the place, their Van Dyck painting, and some of the history. Alas I was so interested in what I was being told I didn't take any photos, but really should have done. It was very grand, with lots of dark wood, and beautiful paintings, rugs and tapestries.

The Livery Hall where the tastings took place was gorgeous. High ceilings and chandeliers aplenty!

We slowly made our way round the various tables, starting with white wines, then moving onto reds and finishing with a port. 

Over 2 hours we tried around 20 odd different wines, and I ended up putting in an order for 24 bottles! I tried a couple of wines that were over £100 per bottle, but the white wasn't to my my taste at all.The red was much more my thing, but not for £100!

They were doing a special mixed case for their 145th birthday. Wines from Burgundy and Bordeaux. So I purchased one of those. I also got a selection of some of the wines I enjoyed from Italy, New Zealand, Chile and a beautiful 20 year old Tawny Port.

They arrived yesterday, so I will let you know how I get on with them. 

I'd definitely go back to Vintners' Hall for a tasting. Very grand!

Here they are!

Loving a full wine rack...

No comments:

Post a Comment