Saturday 13 August 2016

A visit to Ridgeview Wine Estate

I'm lucky enough to have access to a lovely family owned static caravan on the South Coast, which gives me access to the plethora of wineries across Sussex. However I haven't been to any of them yet, so I thought I better start!

After a lovely day with friends at Brighton Pride, I thought a great way to spend the Sunday would be at Ridgeview Wine Estate, just on the edge of Ditchling village. The sea mist that was hanging round the coast stayed on top of the South Downs, as I drove inland to pick up a friend at Burgess Hill station.


The car park gives no indication of the lovely view that will be yours when you go round to the entrance...(see above).

Our guide took us through the Pinot Noir and Chardonnay fields that were on site, but of course they have vines all over the county (and also in West Sussex). He explained a lot about the vines and what happens in the growing cycle. Having done my sparkling wine lesson only around 6 weeks ago, it was all still fresh in my mind, so nothing new for me, but it was still well explained and interesting.


We then went inside the building to see how the wine is made, and he explained the 2nd fermentation well. It actually seemed pretty small in there compared to some of the wineries I have been to. But they have plans to be producing half a million bottles per annum, over the next 5 years.
They are already doing bubbles for M and S and The Wine Society but under slightly different names, so read the label, and you may be buying Ridgeview.

Then onto the best bit - the tasting...

The tasting room itself is lovely - with stunning views over the vines and the South Downs. You would never tire of looking out the window if you worked there!




The wines were enjoyable. I haven't tasted Ridgeview before, but the blends were silky smooth with that lovely blend of fruit and bready flavours that comes with autolysis. Gordon Ramsay stocks their bubbles in his restaurants and they recently supplied wine for a couple of banquets for the Queen!

I was less keen on their Blanc de Blanc, and their other Chardonnay dominant wine. But the Pinot Noir really excelled. We tried a 2010 Rose de Noir which was lovely. Really lovely. So lovely I managed to snag the last one they had in the shop. The difference between that and the 2013 was marked, and if I could keep it well for another couple of years, I think it would get even better. At £40 not cheap, but well worth it.

But the likelihood of me keeping it longer than this summer is very slim, and I am looking to drink it when my WSET result comes in - I will either be celebrating or commiserating, but either way it seems a fitting drop to have.

If you are in the area, you can go tasting most days, but tours have to be booked in advance. The guide who took us round had recently finished a wine and business degree at Plumpton College nearby and was really knowledgeable.

A great way to spend a couple of hours, so go! You won't be disappointed: http://www.ridgeview.co.uk/



No comments:

Post a Comment