Sunday 24 July 2016

WSET Level 3 Exam

So I had my WSET Level 3 exam this week - Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

I had done a fair amount of prep for the exam, but am so out of practice for exams, (having left university 20 years ago now) that I found it quite hard going.

As I've mentioned before the Level 3 course is quite a step up from the Level 2 in terms of intensity and how much you have to remember. With only one set of mock essay questions and mock multiple choice questions in our study material, it was hard to get into the zone. I really would have appreciated more mock questions, and probably a mock essay exam in the classroom under examination conditions to help me prep. There were a few videos in the online classroom, but again it would have been useful to have a video to watch at least for every week of the course.

How anyone does this course and passes in 5 days I don't know. I would definitely recommend the 16 week, one night a week option as the best way to go (particularly if you aren't in the industry and you have a full time job as there is a lot to remember).

I genuinely don't know if I passed, although of course I hope I did. I think the tasting went ok, as did the multiple choice paper, but I found some of the essay questions difficult. Some of them because I couldn't remember facts (bloody Italy is my nemesis), but mainly I struggled to articulate all the salient facts into very small answer boxes.

I guess I'm just out of practice of writing exams...Anyway only 8 weeks till I find out the result, which I will share on here whether it's good news, or if I have to retake...

Keep your fingers crossed for me. In  the mean time, it frees me up to try more wines and go to different wine bars in the city now summer has arrived.

https://www.wsetglobal.com/qualifications/wset-level-3-award-in-wines-and-spirits/


No comments:

Post a Comment