Monday 30 May 2016

A Year in Champagne - Documentary

I spent a very enjoyable morning watching A Year in Champagne, a documentary by David Kennard (who also created A Year in Burgundy, which I have yet to watch).

Full of facts and looking at some of the smaller, older houses, as well as the enormous brands such as Bollinger, it gave a real sense of the region and the wine makers within it. 2012 was shaping up to be a terrible year until August, when the heavens finally stopped pouring down and some heat and warmth got to the vines.

I hadn't really thought about the fact that the people of Champagne drink it all the time. It must be a very nice way to get through the day, for what other alcoholic drinks are perfectly acceptable to drink at breakfast? Maybe a Bloody Mary, or is that more for brunch?!

We haven't tackled sparkling wines in my WSET course yet, but hopefully this documentary will help me remember some of the facts for my exam.

It's available on Netflix right now and I for one am looking forward to their next documentary A Year in Port...


No comments:

Post a Comment