Monday 12 June 2017

London Wine Week Part 2

So after a couple of days respite (not from drinking you understand, just from wine week...) I dragged another drinking companion along to a night of tasting mixed flights from around the globe. We started at the Freixenet stall in Devonshire Square. Alongside their Cavas was a new addition to the family - a Prosecco! The bottle is beautiful but I am not much of a fan of Prosecco (bucking the trend with the rest of the UK I know) so I stuck with their Spanish tipple produced in the traditional method.


We then had a quick stop at New Street Wine Shop for the same flight as my first night (but with me having both samples of red and swapping out my rose...)

Then off the English Wine and Spirits Company (which I have been to a fair few times) which confusingly also goes by the name The Wine Pantry. Here we tried 3 English Wines with cheeses. The cheese in particular was excellent, but I still haven't found an English red wine I enjoy. It's simply not hot enough here to give me anything more than a light bodied wine and that's just not what I enjoy in a red. However the whites were enjoyable enough, and I like to support English wine where I can...

 

The 1901 wine bar, part of the Andaz hotel was next up. It's a lovely bar, really elegant and right next to Liverpool Street Station. I tried 3 Rieslings here and they were a revelation. I normally avoid French/German/Austrian Rieslings often not really enjoying the off dry/floral taste. But these were super! From Pfluger in Pfalz, the 2nd largest wine growing region in Germany. If you get the chance to try any of these really reasonably priced delicious Rieslings, I would recommend you do.



We went back down to Devonshire Row, for our final of the evening: The Bull and Hide 
Here we had a flight from Hush Heath a Kentish producer based in Tonbridge. Enjoyable but again the red did nothing for me. I picked up a leaflet about the vineyard though, as it looked suitably lovely enough to visit over the summer...


 2 days of London Wine Week down, 1 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment