Sunday 6 September 2015

An afternoon of New World Whites

At my last trip to The Sampler, my friend and I noticed they were holding a 'New World whites' tasting afternoon at the Islington store. Without hesitation we paid £20 and signed up.

Dawn greeted around 20 of us at the back of the store and gave some background on the difference between new world wines and old world. I was slightly aghast to find out that new world wineries can add ingredients to wine and some famous NZSB's have added sugar! Good grief!!!

We started with an NZSB. Apello 2014 (RRP £9.50). It was easy drinking, light and crisp with a citrus and apple nose. Pleasant enough and indicative of the region (Marlborough), but I've had better.

Number 2 was Emiliana Riesling 2012 from Chile (RRP £8.40). A slight kerosene nose again indicative of the grape. More body than number one and flavours of lemon and lime. I bought a bottle of this to have with a spicy meal at home. Rather nice.

The third wine was a Sottano Torrontes 2014 from Argentina (RRP £13.90). I knew by the nose it wouldn't be for me. Floral and aromatic, it reminded me of a Gewurztraminer and was my least favourite of the afternoon. The grape is only grown in this region, and I am pleased I won't come across it anywhere else...

Wine number 4 was a Chardonnay 2012 from Washington State, USA (RRP £12). I don't remember having a wine from Washington State before. It was light with plenty of pear and apple but not particularly memorable.

I preferred the second Chardonnay, Clos Du Val 2012 from Napa Valley, USA (RRP £26). The nose gave popcorn, butter and vanilla, but the taste was remarkably fresh. Delish!

Number 6 was Force Majeur Chenin 2014 (RRP £12.90) from Swartland in South Africa. Nose and taste of apple and hay this didn't do a huge amount for me, but Dawn said it would be great with salty or Asian food.

Our penultimate wine was a Penna Lane Semillion 2010 (RRP £14.50) from Australia. The nose was a struck match (I didn't get this, but once someone had said it, I could smell it!). This tasted of stone fruit like peaches and apricots.

Our final wine was Scholium Project Dulcissima Camilla 2013 (RRP £50) from Sonoma, USA.I have tried some of this unusual wine makers wine before at The Sampler and never got on with them, but this was remarkable! Not like a Sauvignon Blanc I had ever had before. The nose had marmalade and brown bread, with a kind of yeasty smell aswell.  Lovely lovely wine, but a bit pricey for my tastes...

It was an enjoyable afternoon. The pours were generous and Dawn knew her stuff. We were allowed to polish off the wines at the end and I made a beeline for the Scholium Project!

A few people seemed to want to talk among themselves rather than listen, which was a bit frustrating, and chairs would have really helped as we were standing still for quite some time.

But I learnt some new things and would return for another session! A nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

Carnage at the end of the tasting!



No comments:

Post a Comment