Monday 24 August 2015

First trip to an English Vineyard

So despite visiting vineyards all across the New World (Australia, New Zealand and the US) I hadn't been to an English winery before!

Having tried some Bacchus from Sharpham near Totnes in Devon a few weeks before, when I found myself in Devon I thought it would be rude/bonkers not to pop in! So I left Brecon bright and early on Friday morning and hooned down to the South West. All was going well to just after Exeter, but when I got into the countryside proper I had no mobile signal - no great when the Vineyard is hidden away up a plethora of country lanes.

Totnes in the distance along the river Dart

Fortunately my perseverance paid off as I wound my way down a very narrow drive on the side of a hill towards Sharpham. The outdoor restaurant and seating areas were busy but I was able to book myself in for a 1pm tasting. The young girl was enthusiastic but very nervous and not particularly knowledgable about the wines. Strangely we were allowed to taste 3 out of 6 wines offered. Why they don't just do a 25ml pour for each tasting and let us try all 6 I don't know!
I tried a Sauvignon esque white (which was actually 100% Madeleine Angevine) and the two reds (50% Pinot Noir & 50% Pinot Noir Précoce and 100% Rondo). The reds were exactly what I was expecting - light/medium bodied very young, rather thin and not all that! I much prefer a medium to full bodied red wine. The white was nice enough and I bought a bottle of that.

The cheeses were delicious (a goat's cheese and a brie type), but as I was heading off to a hotel I knew I wouldn't be able to keep them anywhere cool to take them home.

So I set off on one of their self guided tours around the vineyard. It was a very warm day and a very warm walk (I took off my cardie!) but well worth it. It was lovely! And I could have been in France.
















So after this lovely walk in the English Countryside surrounded by grapes that will soon be wine, I decided to pick up a few bottles from the store, before hot footing it to the coast and the heady heights of Torquay! 

If you are in the area I would definitely recommend you take a look. It's not as swish or organised as many of the tasting rooms and vineyards I went to in California, but it is a really lovely area, particularly when the sun is shining. 



For more information go to the website: http://www.sharpham.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment